Finding the balance between dreaming and doing.
Just go with the flow. Surely, you’ve heard that one before. It’s a saying that’s meant to elicit a mindset of freedom, of calm, a sense that we can (and should) just focus on… living.
Then comes the opposite sentiment, one that has become so popular it’s now even considered a whole culture of its own.
Yup, pretty sure that you have been acquainted with this as well, especially with the rise of digital entrepreneurship.
You know, that go-getter mindset, that constant reminder of “dreams don’t work unless you do”.
Now, no matter where you sit on the spectrum, or maybe you don’t even notice this spectrum, this post is not meant to diss either one or claim that one is better than the other.
After all, that is for you and only you left to decide.
What I will say though, is that being someone who has deeply explored and sat with both of these mindsets in different chapters of my life, I have learned what I personally admire of each as well as what I am now moving forward in life—without.
Much like everything in life it seems like, balance is required. And our mindset is no exception.
So what’s the preferred concoction I have come to terms with?
Just go with the flow.
Let’s start with the classic, shall we?
- Less stress.
- Daily focus on enjoyment.
- No nitpicking at life.
- No need to control every aspect of it.
- Living life as it comes.
- No true sense of purpose/direction.
- Lack of goals and therefore… dreams?
- May become easier to feel stuck in ruts.
- May cause a never-ending sense of missing that spark in life.
Hustle Culture & Mentality
- Provides motivation to set goals ergo greater direction in life.
- Provides a sense of purpose.
- Most likely to bring in greater material abundance.
- Most likely to lead to a greater range of career-focused opportunities.
- Rest and breaks are for the weak-minded.
- If you are not working towards your goals you are wasting time.
- Comparison is always in the air.
- May lead to lots of self-induced pressure.
- Increased stress as a result of feeling like “it’s never enough” or “there is always something I should be doing”.
My preferred balance (and what I am essentially here to recommend)?
Somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.
Let go of what no longer serves you, take intentional action towards your dreams, and remain flexible with whatever challenges arise. Flow.
Of course, it seems like a natural thought, and even reading it back now I think to myself, “Well yeah, isn’t it obvious?”.
Sure, it can be. Although when it comes to putting these words into action, it may quickly become a challenge all on its own.
Because when we are hustling and making things happen it easy to get caught up in it.
It’s easy to want to never take a break and enjoy our present moment and even our relationships with others.
Enjoy and allow ourselves to be proud of how far we have come and yes, our present moment.
Yet if we lean too much into the break, then our motivation quickly fizzles out, inconsistency makes its grand entrance and walks us all the way to the next stop which usually is frustration due to our lack of goals coming into fruition.
Once there, it really can be hard to feel like we have to start all over again.
This is why it’s important to let go.
Let go of past mistakes.
Let go of unhelpful habits.
Let go of negative self-talk.
Let go of self disbelief.
Let go of needing to control every single outcome aka perfectionism.
Let go of the toxic pride that can really be the one that keeps us stuck the most.
And the one that’s hardest to recognize sometimes.
Yes, even letting of needing to identify yourself as a dreamer or a doer?
Why not be both?
At the end of it all, are we not here to enjoy life? To enjoy the fruits of our labor?
Just as much as to enjoy having the deciding power of what that labor should be?
And of course, we all come from different backgrounds, different starting points, and different opportunities.
But something that you and I, and everyone have, is free will and the power to set our intentions.
Draft up the game plan to start where we are and with what we have, and just take action towards the things, the people, and even the places that light us up.
Whether it’s due to the new year, a new month, a new week, a new day, or even a new hour…
We are all entitled to release all the thoughts and negativity that hold us back in order to make space for all the good and positive abundance, no matter what kind.
In a nutshell:
- We can either go with the flow in life or join in on the hustle culture. Or do we?
- What are the pros and cons of these two options and do you really have to decide between them?
- Nope. You can do whatever you want, especially take what you actually like of each, leave the rest, and live life on your terms.
- This… is how you flow towards your goals.
So, the question is, will you finally let go of all that is holding you back, and flow towards where you want to go?
You’ve got this.
For more on mindset, creativity, life chats, and first-hand news on all things Golden Light Startup sign up for our newsletter.
“ Those who flow as life flows know they need no other force.”
Yasmin Vasquez is the founder and creative director of Golden Light Startup. Her mission is to empower others to always seek their passions live with purpose.